It doesn’t matter if you are visiting a beach abroad or going to one closer to home, beach hair always makes us ask questions. What is a good hairstyle for the beach? Beachy waves? A messy bun? Perhaps just letting it blow in the wind will suffice? Maybe one should buy beach accessories to get with the theme?
The internet is full of hair ideas that don’t need anything other the hair ties and a few bobby pins. Whether you are after a tousled look, practical loose waves, or a cute hairstyle, here are 6 easy beach hairstyles that anyone can do.
Half-up Fishtail Braid
For that windswept summer style look, this braid is both practical and beautiful.
If you have long hair that you do not want in your face while you enjoy the beachfront, but also do not want tight braids that pull on your scalp, this is an easy hairstyle for you.
The No-Fuss Tutorial:
- Take two pieces of hair from either side of your face, the pieces most likely to get in your way. Bunch A and Bunch B
- Take a piece from the front of Bunch A and add it to the back of Bunch B.
- Take a piece from the front of Bunch B and add it to Bunch A.
- Repeat these two steps until you reach the bottom of your hair, secure with a band.
- Tease out pieces of your hair in the braid to get that cute messy hairstyle.
Change the look of this braid by using larger or small pieces when swapping hair from Bunch A and Bunch B.
Romantic French Braid
For a romantic style that keeps all your hair at bay without making you look like that strict headmistress, everyone hates, go for a french braid.
Braiding your hair may look complicated but it is rather simple to do. This side braid is great for medium to long hair
Your Step by Step:
- Take 2 small pieces of hair from the top of your head. Piece 1 and Piece 2.
- Cross over Piece 1 and Piece 2.
- Add an extra bit of hair to Piece 1.
- Pick up Piece 3 of hair from Piece 2 side but do not mix.
- Cross over Piece 1 and Piece 2.
- Add an extra bit to Piece 2.
- Add an extra bit to Piece 1.
- Cross over Piece 2 and Piece 3.
- Add an extra bit to Piece 2 and Piece 3.
- Cross over Piece 3 and Piece 1.
- Add an extra bit to Piece 3 and Piece 1
- Keep doing this until all your hair is in these three pieces.
- Plait the rest down your back. Secure with a band.
Change the look of this braid by adding multicoloured ribbons to your hair and braiding them in.
Tease some of your hair out of the braid to make the styling look messy and free.
Dutch Braid Headband
A dutch braid is basically an upside-down french braid, so once you have mastered one, you have mastered them both.
An easy hairstyle that takes away the need for hair accessories, use your own hair to make yourself a headband. This works the best with medium length hair but can be pulled off with long hair and some shorter hair, depending on how short.
- Get a parting down the side of your head.
- Take three pieces of hair from the top of that parting.
- Move the topmost strand under the middle one and pull the middle one to the left.
- Now move the bottom piece under the new middle one and pull that middle one to the right.
- Then move the left one under the middle as before, add a new section of hair from the left of your head to it.
- Finally move the hair on the left under the middle one, placing the middle one on the right.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 as you follow the line of your forehead down to your ear. This creates your headband shape.
- When you get to your ear pull in some hair from the right-hand side of your head, but add it to your braid from behind your head.
- Now pull in all your hair and finish as a regular braid. Add a hair tie to finish.
This is another one you can bring to life with the addition of ribbons, or stick some little flowers along the length of the braid for a bohemian effect.
Trendy Beach Day Hairstyle For Short Hair
Probably the easiest hairstyle on this list.
This style works with short hair, long hair and curly hair. For a summer hairstyle, it is easy to pull off, keeps your hair out of your way, yet still looks like you’ve put in the effort. In reality, it is nothing more than a low ponytail with a twist.
2 Steps To Beach Hair
- Take 2 pieces of hair from either side of your face and put in a low ponytail with a hair tie.
- Take the tail of that hair and pull it back up, behind the hair tie, and over. Repeat as many times as you like.
You now have an updo that looks elegant and pretty. finish with a slide covered in flowers for a real summer look.
Beautiful Low Bun
For a look of simple sophistication and beauty, we turn to the low bun.
While this style is best completed with hair ties and bobby pins, for a more relaxed look you can complete it with a scrunchie, a scarf, or a flower.
DIY Low Bun
- Pull all your hair into a ponytail.
- Split your ponytail into 2 bunches.
- Cross over these bunches repeatedly until you reach the bottom of your hair.
- Twist the hair, it will naturally start getting shorter.
- Pull your hair around the base of the ponytail.
- Secure with bobby pins or another hair tie.
This is just one of many ways to pull off an elegant low bun. Adding a light silk scarf to this bun really makes it stand out.
High Messy Bun or Topknot
Whatever you want to call it, hair look is just as easy as the low bun with a few minor changes.
With natural hair that already boasts beach waves, this easy bun hairstyle will keep your hair looking gorgeous even if the wind catches it.
An Easy Tutorial:
- Start with a high ponytail, make sure it’s loose.
- Split hair into 3 lengths and braid together in a simple plait.
- Twirl around the base of the ponytail and secure with bobby pins or another hair tie.
- Tease some of your hair out until you have the messy summer hair you dreamed of.
Why not add in a few loose plaits to really get that loose bun looking fantastic?